Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thursday: Palin's presence builds excitement

The Oregon delegates were privileged to hear from five distinguished speakers at our hotel yesterday: New York Gov. George Pataki; Guam Gov. Felix Camacho; California Congressman David Dreier; retired corporal Miamora and retired captain Gerald Coffee.

Coffee was in the POW camp with Sen. McCain and explained the tapping system they devised to communicate with each other. I couldn't help but wonder how in the world they could keep a matrix like that in their heads with all the suffering and pain they were going through. Each of the men attested to the honorable character of John McCain.

At the convention last night, with the appearance of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, her speech, the Palin family on stage and then senator and Mrs. McCain, there was so much energy in the building it was amazing!

Some of us were talking about the current events when I made the comment that I had never considered myself a feminist; however, I am feeling so proud that our nominee for vice president is a woman. One of the men said to me: "I never considered myself a feminist, either, but I am really proud that she is a woman, too!"

This morning, the Oregon delegation enjoyed a breakfast here at the hotel with Congressman Dick Armey, former majority leader and now the Freedom Works leader. I have to pass on to you one of his lines. He said, "The Republican Party has been looking for another Ronald Reagan. Whoever would thought she would come to us in a skirt?"

I can't imagine how tonight's convention can equal or top the third night, but this convention has certainly been filled with one surprise after the next.

Until tomorrow.

No comments: